segunda-feira, 22 de outubro de 2012

Change of heart - What does it mean?

Hello guys, how are you doing?

Today's post is going to be a little bit different. I think you've noticed it. I've greeted you guys in English, as I usually do, but I'm still writing in English. ;-)

Are you an organ donor? If you intend to donate your organs you have to let your family knows your intention. They'll have to give people permission to do that. I'm talking about Brazil. I don't know the law in other countries. In my case, I've never given it any serious thought. But today as I'm typing here I was thinking that I should do it as this is my wish. Anyway, why am I talking about this? Let's take a look, shall we?

I used to be against organ donation but recently I've had a change of heart.

I wrote about 'used to' here: Used to (in Portuguese).

So what is the person trying to say? First he was not in favor of organ donation. He didn't want to do that. But then he said that he had a change of heart, which means that maybe he's received a new heart.

Well, actually the expression 'change of heart' means to change your opinion, attitude or the way you feel about something. [mudar de atitude]

What really happened is that the guy has changed his heart and he is no longer against organ donation.

Some other examples:

He almost retired in 2004, but eventually had a change of heart.
At first she said we couldn't go, but she had a change of heart and let us.

Well, that's it for today. Hope you like it.
See you next time!

5 comentários:

  1. Oi, Iramaia! Ótimo post. Só não entendi o uso do past perfect. Ficaria certo mesmo com o uso do present perfect?

    Grata,

    Thaís

    ResponderExcluir
    Respostas
    1. Oi Thais, obrigada pelo comentário. Onde exatamente você menciona o uso do past perfect?

      Excluir
    2. Hey Ira

      I missed this one!

      >I've greeted you guys in English, as I usually do, but I'm still writing in English. ;-)

      Really like this :)

      David

      Excluir
    3. You see, I followed your suggestion. ;)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Ira

      Excluir
  2. And hope you keep it up, Ira, you write about some excellent word partners & phrases!

    ResponderExcluir

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...